Shelter improvements for volunteer comfort.

• Author

Dear Members and especially those who either do so much at the Shelter OR those who want to do Shelter visits but don’t because of something environmental or cosmetic at the Shelter,

It is a challenge to work at the Shelter, especially, when the temperature is so high and there are so many dogs and cats that want and need our attention.

We very much want to do whatever is in our power to make Shelter visits as user-friendly as possible and we are asking your help to identify what we can do to help.

I am going to put a poll here that will be a quick way to express some thoughts but the best way to start a conversation and to properly convey your thoughts would be to reply (below) to the topic and give some specific issues and/or solutions. If you attempt to write a reply and are asked for your user-id or password, if you don’t remember or something is not working for you text me at 864-906-0481 or call that number and I will fix it for you immediately.

We know that if something is very unpleasant, we will find ways to avoid it. The work that is being done, each week, by so many of our members, is so great that we don’t want anything to stand in the way of that continuing and growing.

While we have you here, ANYTHING that you would like to note or discuss, is welcome to be addressed here.

You do not need to log in to take the poll but you will need to log in to see the “Reply to” section that allows you to write out your thoughts in whatever length you wish.

So to give some ideas that you might want to discuss: 1) Need shade when supervising dogs in the running kennels. 2) Need a better place to sit (in the shade) while supervising the same dogs. 3) Need more supplies like soap or other grooming products or leashes/harnesses/collars. (4) Need a place to store a drink or a snack or would like for drinks to be provided for shelter visits. (5) More running kennels (6) Better grass or landscaping in and around the Shelter (7) Address the sanitation issue surrounding the hosing of solid waste onto the ground around the outside. (8) Paving of the parking area….anything you can think. ‘

Your comments can be seen by all who visit this forum for this exercise and we hope they will foster even more and maybe, better, ideas.

Created on
        Survey to Improve the Shelter Experience

Please indicate the areas that, in your opinion, affect the quality of your time spent assisting with the Shelter pets. There is an option of "Other".

You are encouraged to use the "Reply To" area to state, in your own words, some of the issues that are meaningful to you.

There is no doubt that we will not be able to immediately address everything but we want to be able to address issues as we are given the opportunity. Some of your ideas may very well be addressed when/if we appear before County Council.

Min votes count should be 1
        Please add vote reason

• July 18, 2024 at 12:29 pm #1263

I feel a poster of duties listed for each kennel for dogs,  or cages for cats, is needed visible for volunteers at the shelter ,  so the volunteers know which dog or kitten has been bathed. That way the same dog will not get a bath all three of our volunteer days.

• July 18, 2024 at 12:29 pm #1264

VERY good idea Jane. I would have never thought of that. Please encourage anyone you can contact to complete the survey. This is very helpful.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.